Best Divorce Lawyers in Kansas City
When child custody is an issue, you need the best divorce lawyers in Kansas City. At Evans & Mullinix, P.A., we focus on helping our clients reach the best possible outcome for every child custody issue.
Our firm was founded in 1974 by two gentlemen who still practice with us today. Timothy Evans and Thomas Mullinix shared the goal of providing top quality, affordable legal services to our clients with honesty, integrity and professionalism. We recruit only the best divorce lawyers to ensure we are able to provide exceptional customer service and innovative legal representation.
Different types of child custody exist, but the key legal standard when deciding child custody is what's in the best interest of the child. Each state has different additional laws and guidelines governing child custody that help determine what is best. Divorce lawyers in our firm are licensed to practice in both Kansas and Missouri, and we are familiar with the differences in state law. Some typical factors divorce courts rely on in deciding custody disputes during divorce regardless of jurisdiction include the following:
- Parents' ability to communicate and cooperate in matters relating to the child
- Willingness of the parents to accept custody
- Any history of unwillingness to allow child visitation
- Relationship between the child, parents and siblings
- Any history of domestic violence
- Safety of the child
- Either parent's safety from physical abuse
- Preference of the child
- Child's needs
- Stability of the home environment
- Quality and continuity of the child's education
- Parents' fitness
- Geographic proximity of the parents' homes
- Quality of the time spent with the child before and after the separation
- Parents' employment responsibilities
- Number of children and ages
The courts consider the rights of the child; however, family members interested in petitioning for custody may have that right as well. Understanding your rights and your family members’ rights can be confusing, which is another reason you should insist on the best divorce lawyers to help with your case.
Your relationship with your child may be affected by child custody laws. You deserve to have the best divorce lawyers on your team. Contact us today for more information on how we approach divorce, child custody and other family law issues:
Evans & Mullinix, P.A.
7225 Renner Road, Suite 200
Shawnee, KS 66217-3043
Kansas City Metropolitan Area